Friday 12 October 2012

Blossom: Day Twelve, Making Tracks

Heavenly ...


Friday 12 Frocktober


Outfit

  • Grey tweed skirt, black turtleneck jumper, raincoat, headscarf

 Menu

  • Breakfast - scrambled eggs, coffee
  • Lunch - chicken salad sandwich, tea
  • Dinner - bangers and mash, sultana cake

Mood

  • Spacey

Today both myself and the Captain had a day off and were determined to enjoy it. The sun had come back - so we decided to go on a bit of a field trip to see some of the snow that had been falling in the vicinity.

I must apologise for the lack of photos today! I was having too much fun to remember my camera.

We hopped in the car and drove to one of our favourite places ever: the Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex (aka the 'Tidbinbilla Tracking Station').

We are both major fans and supporters of space research, and both have our own personal links to the site. It is a beautiful place, has a terrific education centre and a nice little cafe.

We dropped in at lunchtime so we could have our lunch at the cafe. No photos from the site as we both turned off our mobile phones so they would not interfere with signal. But seriously, go look at the website. Make sure you have a bit of time on your hands when you do, because there is a lot to do and look at.

The cafe is small and has a smallish selection of dishes, and what they lack in quantity they make up for in quality. I had a simple chicken and salad sandwich that was memorably fantastic - fresh and delicious. I enjoyed my sanger and cuppa tea while gazing out at one of the radio telescopes that was going through some maintenance so the dish was gently rotating: mesmerising and quite lovely to watch.

I felt it was perfectly reasonable to visit the site during my 1940s Frocktober. The need to develop new technology during the second world war in order to - you know - survive and hopefully win the war, led directly to the creation of technology that could later be turned to much more peaceful and sharing-caring purposes. War is hell, but rocket scientists can use their powers for good as much as for evil. The Canberra Deep Space Communication Complex is a reminder that science and technology do indeed contribute to a happier, safer, more knowledgeable world. I promise you will enjoy your visit, and leave with a sense that humanity is capable of great, beneficial and brilliant things. And these things are happening right now, as I type, as you read. Need cheering up? You know where to go for a serious boost.

This is me with the site in the background, as soon as I was able to turn my phone back on. You can't see any of the dishes but you can see how pretty and bucolic the area is.

Now imagine a bunch of radio telescopes dotting the landscape, and smile,
and know all is right with the world, at least in this beautiful little part of it.
After this we drove for a bit more, enjoying the landscape (and yes, a few spots of snow) and then raced home to take Darling Dog out for a nice long walk.

After this day of activity it seemed reasonable to have a comforting and substatial dinner, so bangers and mash was on the menu. With lots of steamed veg including - naturally - carrots.

Here's the thing: I also baked a cake. I haven't baked for ages and we were very proud of our efforts. The recipe I used for plan sultana cake was written assuming the baker would own an electric mixer. I don't. Yes, I know, but I just don't own one. So all of the mixing was done by hand.

And it was hard work! So hard that I roped the Captain in to help me, and we both had aching arms by the end of it. But it was worth it, to end up with a simple but delicious sultana cake which, as at this stage, I have been too busy eating to photograph.

Frock you later,
Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment