Friday 19 October 2012

Blossom: Day Eighteen, They're Among Us!

No one would have believed ...



Thursday 18 Frocktober


Outfit/s

  • Factory gear (daytime)
  • Pencil skirt, jumper and tweed jacket (evening)

 Menu

  • Breakfast - same old same old ...
  • Lunch - leftover spaghetti and meatballs - yay for the USA.
  • Dinner - DINNER OUT! Fish supper, oh yes.

Mood

  • Alien'd.

Not a lot about today, except that the Captain and I went to eat out in the evening, then went on to the Canberra-based Supa Productions performance of Jeff Wayne's War Of The Worlds.

"... this world was being watched keenly and closely by intelligences greater than man's ..."


Dinner was delicious and off-ration, so I availed myself of as much seafood action as I could. Of course I did - wouldn't you? Happy and replete, we went to see Martians invade and conquer Earth. The way you do.

The show was terrific. I read the original book by H G Wells many years ago, grew up with the Wayne soundtrack, and I reckon I have seen and heard nearly every version of the classic story of Martian invasion ever made.

The most notorious version was a radio play adapted by Orson Welles and broadcast in 1938, in a highly realistic style for the time, causing consternation and dismay in its listeners - already braced for what would turn out to be a terrible, terrible war. In this context it is hard not to feel the future threat of dreadful war hovering ominously over H G Wells' tale, no matter how it is told and re-told.

Even the Wayne version is a dreadful reminder of the horrors of war and the dreaful things humanity is capable of (even if they are represented by scary Martians). And the music is fantastic!

The production we enjoyed last night was remarkable. Very talented musicians and actors, lots of multimedia, light show, dramatic events ... I was really impressed. And (I'm not ashamed to confess it) moved. I cry every time the Thunder Child is sunk and I defy anybody to tell me it isn't a tragic moment.

I was so frightened by the Wayne album artwork as a child, seeing it writ large upon the stage gave me a frisson that was equally nostalgia and mind-numbing fear.

Meep.


So my night cup of Horlicks was extremely welcome. Thank you, Frocktober, for re-introducing Horlicks to my repertoire. And allowing me to sleep.

Frock you later,
Blossom

No comments:

Post a Comment